Thursday, May 8, 2008

Help...


Braden has decided that he wants to practice getting into sitting position when I lay him down at night. I mean what better time to practice right? After 30 minutes of screaming and me going in every 10 minutes to lie him back down, pat his tummy, tell him I loved him and reassure him, only for him to lose his breath from screaming so hard, he finally fell asleep. Boo...I feel like a terrible mom for letting him cry, but I wasn't sure what else to do. It is awful to hear your child screaming, but he had been fed, he was dry, he was tired and it was way past bedtime so I was out of options. Of course Austin wasn't here tonight so I was on my own for decision making. I hope this is just a phase...we'll see how it goes for naps tomorrow. I've heard horror stories from my friends who've said that their babies will scream the entire time through naps b/c they keep sitting up and can't figure out how to lay back down again and get settled. I've also heard that usually after a week of this, things get better. Anybody have any ideas? What worked for you?

3 comments:

Becky said...

OH MY GOSH.... have not heard of this horror story yet until now! Oh no! I hope it's better by now? I have heard once they learn a new skill they practice it in bed until it is "perfected" and then they can rest again... so strange! Some moms say that the babies crawl accross the crib in their sleep! ha! Give us an update soon!

Courtney said...

it is SO annoying, but it WILL get better. the first week MCM started doing this, i was beyond frustrated. i would go in and lay her back down over and over until she finally got to sleep, but there was a lot of crying. now she still stands up a few times at every naptime. she will sometimes do it until she is about to pass out from tiredness, but i only go in if she really starts crying hard. they eventually learn to lay back down. i think for babies who are naturally not good sleepers (like mcm) sitting/standing is yet another way to keep themselves awake, because they just don't want to go to sleep. i think braden will learn. you just have to keep reminding yourself that this is a phase! it will pass!

Ashley & Bobby said...

Hey....yeah I do plan to keep working until she decides to show up or until the dr tells me different....it is getting really hard right now to focus and want to be here! I don't know how you did it :) I will keep you posted.