Monday, August 4, 2008

Bumps, Bruises and Toddlerhood


Well, we've entered it full force...yep, toddlerhood. Within a matter of days, we had a bruise on our forehead from running too fast on the concrete, a busted lip from tripping over the flower pots and falling into the railings of the deck, and a split eyebrow from falling into a table...oh yes and another bruise above our eye from trying to climb the stairs and missing one step. And yes in case you are wondering, Austin and I do watch Braden, but I'll tell you this guy is on the move. All of those times I just mentioned, Austin or I were standing right next to him, but bruises and bumps happen and thank you God that our babies are not as fragile as they appear on the outside. I've quickly realized though that we are in the full swing of toddlerhood...and here is how I know:

1. You find your child sitting in the floor, next to the electrical outlets, eating one of the outlet covers and trying to put the other one back in the outlet. Note: as we recently discovered, the outlet safety covers from Target don't do so much protecting as they do provide a fun game for your child. I hear Babies R' Us has a better, more toddler proofed version.

2. You find your child in the laundry room taking one piece of trash out of the trash can at a time...apparently this is good times.

3. You realize that your child has taken a sudden interest in the dog's food, the dog's water bowl and the dog's tail (which keep in mind Tyson is a boxer so he doesn't have a tail so much as a nub...we do lots of hand washing after this fun game occurs)

4. Your child has suddenly decided that throwing everything is a fun part of the day...this includes toys, books, sippy cups and most of all food. At least he has a good arm

5. Your child doesn't sit still because he is walking everywhere and just as I get there and sit down to play with him he's up and off to the next room.

6. Your child finds that standing on a pile of books is more fun than sitting next to them and reading them.

7. Your child rearranges the house by pushing chairs, laundry baskets, toys, brooms, dog beds, hampers all over the house. Apparently at this stage, they love to push and pull things...but why push push-toys when you could push bar stools?

8. You spend a good part of your day saying "no" "don't touch that" "let's find something else to play with"

9. Your child falls asleep in the highchair because he is so worn out from running around all morning. Here is the evidence:
But despite all the chaos, this stage has been so much fun. The little guy spends most of his day exploring his world with a big smile on his face, proud of himself that he can walk where he wants as he begins to become more and more independent. Ready or not, here we go...
Lying on Tyson's bed enjoying his bottle and laughing at Tyson -
Braden's first bruise -

1 comment:

Andrew, Jacqueline, Kitty, Tucker, and the new, the fabulous... MURPHY LEE said...

I almost cried when I looked at pictures of the little smelly! I showed Andrew too, and we miss him so stinkin much!! (and of course you guys too)