Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Asher's Big Week

Well, Asher had a big week this past week. On Tuesday, he got tubes put in his ears. After 3 months of ear infections, hour after hour of fussiness, sleepless nights, early wakings and short naps, we finally got tubes put in. The surgery was only 10 minutes long, but did include anesthesia. It was awful handing my baby over to the surgeon, unsure of how his body would react to the anesthesia and it was even more awful holding a crying, disoriented baby as he was waking out of the anesthesia. After a 3 hour nap and lots of snacks, my little boy awoke a new man. He was finally happy, finally napping, finally sleeping at night and finally eating. It was amazing the difference in his personality. Of course three nights ago he started this ridiculous night waking thing where he now wakes for 2-3 hours in the wee hours of the night, wallowing and crying. We are currently praying for wisdom on how to handle it, but his days are enjoyable and for this I am thankful. The night waking thing has been hard, REALLY, REALLY HARD. Austin and I have not slept for more then 4-5 hours in 3 days. In some ways it feels like this is how it is going to be for the rest of my life...dramatic I know, but it really does feel this way, especially at 3am when there seems to be no end in sight. I find myself fearful when I hear him awake at 3am...anxious of when/if/how he will finally go back to sleep. I'm sure (okay, I hope this is just a phase), but I just don't know what to do about it. He is getting his molars in and that could be the culprit, but who knows. His ears were checked yesterday and the doctor assures me they look perfect...no fluid, no infection, nothing! Anyway, if you are reading this, pray for sleep in our home and for wisdom on how to handle a tiny, unhappy baby in the wee hours of the night. In other news, Asher got his first haircut this week. He desperately needed his wings over his ears trimmed and so after some good snacks and some entertainment by Braden, I got him to sit still long enough for a trim. He looks like such a little man these days. Here he is before his big haircut.
And here he is post, haircut eating a Christmas ball and sitting in a plastic bag. We really do practice safe parenting around here, even though it doesn't appear that way :)
Christmas pictures to come soon, for now it's time to wake some little boys from their slumber.

2 comments:

The Anderson Family said...

Oh Stacey! I bet it feels like you guys have a newborn again with him waking up at night like that. Wow! I hope these tubes help little Asher out. :)

awalton said...

Prayed for you guys last night. Keep us updated on how little Asher is doing. Sure hope things get better soon!!