Thursday, December 23, 2010

So Proud...

There are moments as a parent when your heart feels so full and you realize that your cup runneth over. Today I got to experience one of those moments and I am blessed as I saw Jesus in my 3 yr old. For several weeks now, we have been talking to Braden about how there are many people less fortunate then us who will not have a Christmas this year. Braden has always had a compassionate, tender heart, I've noticed that about him long before now, in fact it is one of my favorite things about him. It's nothing we've done, it's simply who God made him to be. One of those beautiful qualities that will hopefully stay with him his whole life. Ever since we've talked about the "poor kids" as he calls them, he has wanted to role play that he was giving his toys away. In fact if you came to my house on any given day, you would probably experience his "Good Will" store set up where he wants me to sit on a chair at the store and he drives his riding car over to the store and gives all of his cars and trucks away. This game could go on for hours. Quite frequently when we talk about his Christmas presents, he asks what the "poor kids" are going to get for Christmas. So this week, I told Braden that we were going to go to the homeless shelter to give some of our stuff away. I was amazed when he quickly ran to his toy basket and picked out a few of his best toys like his carwash (which if you know Braden, you know this is one of his favorite things). This morning when he woke up, he told me that we needed to go give the "poor kids" his toys. I was pleasantly surprised at how interested and concerned he was that we go to the shelter. As Austin and I were loading everything into the car, Braden ran back into his room and said, "I need to give them a baby car (his word for matchbox cars)...again, a very generous heart. As we headed to the shelter and as I watched Braden generously hand his toys over to the people at the shelter without batting an eye, I was reminded about how much God loves a cheerful giver. Austin and I were so proud of him, I mean my heart was so full of love for a compassionate little boy who thinks so highly of others and cares for them. I found myself convicted as I thought of how many times I have selfishly held on to things I didn't need or how often I have not given my very best when I had the chance to give. So thankful that a little boy showed me how to be like Jesus today.

1 comment: