Friday, December 17, 2010

My little camel...

Braden had his Christmas program this past Thursday and it was called "Christmas Through the Eyes of a Child." Unfortunately everyone in my family including Austin was busy, so I was the only one who could be there to see him. We spent the week talking about, practicing, singing and dancing along to the words of the songs he would be singing. He was a camel this year...a shepherd last year and I had told him earlier that day that I would be out in the crowd watching him and cheering him on. When he came out on stage, I saw his little eyes hidden under his camel hat...they were watching, searching the crowd, person by person trying desperately to find me. He couldn't. He had this forlorn look on his face...sad, confused. As I stood there waving my hands, hoping so badly that he would find me, I felt my heart sink for him. I wanted him to know that I was there, proud of him, excited for him. And then, just as the first song was starting, he locked eyes with me and his face lit up with the smile I have fallen so deeply in love with, he waves his hand and I hear those sweet words leave his lips, "Mommy...Hi Mommy" and in that moment I find myself tearing up. As I watch him continue to wave and so intently sing the words "Oh what happy news, Jesus is here to stay" I have to fight hard to stop the tears. I love this boy, he is so small, so innocent...I long to protect him, to hold him, to stop time. He smiles again and waves. My heart feels like it is about to pound out of my chest because I am so proud of him. He loves me. He just wants me to be there watching him...nothing else matters in his little world. Austin and I often talk about how these years are so short. A 3 yr old's world revolves around his parents. As the days quickly pass and the months turn into years, there will come a time when Braden doesn't light up when he sees us like he used to, when he won't long to sit in our presence and be with us, when the conversations will be had with other people instead of with us and once again the tears fall. I know these children grow up. I know these years are passing quickly. These moments watching my baby sing his heart out on stage, dancing without any insecurity, waving and smiling without a care in the world are so sweet to a parent. I hope to tuck these memories deep in my heart and remember them when the years have come and gone. Here is my sweet little camel the moment he spotted me -
Singing and smiling -
Cheesing for the camera -
All I can say is thank goodness for Veggie Sticks. With a new double ear infection and a sleepless night the night before, asking Asher to sit quietly in his stroller during the program with no extra hands to help was sure to be a recipe for disaster. Fortunately Veggie Sticks, a paci and my cell phone kept the boy happy -
And Veggie Sticks for all! -
Asher wanted to try on the Camel costume in preparation for his shining moment in a few years -
After the program, Braden had a pajama party, complete with cookie decorating and pin the nose on the reindeer. Asher even got to sit at the table with the big boys and have lunch. He was loving it!

Overall a very good day even though Ash was a bit under the weather. Which on a side note, we found out today, after a week and a half of sleepless nights, 30 minute naps, early mornings (some as early as 4:45am) and unexplained fussiness that Asher has a double ear infection. Awesome huh? Especially since he's only been ear infection free for about 2 weeks now...and in case you didn't know, his previous ear infection took 6 weeks and 4 different antibiotics before it was gone. So after a visit with the pediatrician today, it looks like my sweet baby is going to have to have tubes put in his ears. We go to the Ear Nose and Throat doctor next week to find out more. Poor little guy. So ready for him to be happy and healthy again.

No comments: