Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chaotic Days

Let me just preface this post by saying that we have not had kitchen floors for 2 months now and as of Monday, we have no kitchen. By no kitchen I mean nothing...just a bare room with lots of dust and wide open electrical sockets...good for the kiddos if you know what I mean :) Here are the boys testing out the new kitchen -


So where is everything that used to be in my kitchen you ask...in my foyer of course!!!! Cozy huh?
And despite all the chaos, here is Asher practicing his pulling up skills on Tyson...
And here is Braden before the demolition began...he was practicing good safety by wearing his hard hat while using his tools to take apart the cabinets.

So yesterday morning, I get a phone call from our contractor and he tells me that they are going to lay the hardwood floors today and that I need to get out of the house in one hour and that it would be to my best interest to stay out all day long since it would be super loud and dusty. So I spend the next 30 minutes packing up my whole house so that I'd have all the food/sleeping supplies to get me through the day with two small kids. We get in the car, make a quick stop at the library and then start driving to my dad's house...all is going well until Braden throws up in the car. Perfect huh? So after pulling over and cleaning him up, I made the decision to go back home b/c I didn't want to take a chance of getting my dad sick...although looking back I now realize that Braden was just car sick from reading in a hot car on windy back roads. Anyway, I'm driving home, Asher is crying b/c he was supposed to eat 30 minutes ago, Braden is crying b/c he doesn't want the windows down and I'm about to throw up myself from the smell in my car. So we get home to a VERY loud house...between the saws and the nail guns, I can barely hear myself talk. I put a movie on for Braden, feed Asher and start to face the fact that I am stuck in this house with two shady floor guys, two small children and a house that is so loud that there is no way anyone is gonna nap. Oh, not to mention that every time the saws turn on, Braden starts crying b/c he is scared of the loud noise the saws make. Thankfully at this point, the rain has stopped so we head outside to a super muddy backyard and spend the rest of the afternoon outside. By 2:30pm, I'm starting to realize that I'm gonna have to try for naps even though it's pretty unrealistic considering the noise factor. I get Asher down for a nap by 3pm, just as they are finishing my floors, get Braden down by 3:30pm, head outside to clean up the rest of my horrid smelling car, come back inside to make a sandwich, take one bite and I hear Asher screaming from his crib. Apparently, he only wanted a 40 minute nap today...sweet considering that I'm exhausted and so need a break. Anyway...let's just say I've seen better days. It's just been a stressful few days having no kitchen sink, no stove, no dishwasher and no cabinets and not to mention a house that looks like a bomb went off in it. On a side note, we've been eating out every night since there aren't many options when you don't have a stove. So tonight after a fairly chaotic dinner with two little ones at California Pizza Kitchen, we decided to wander through Whole Foods. While I was getting some fresh almond butter, I look over to see Taylor Swift and her lovely body guard filling up a little mason jar with fresh peanut butter. You gotta love celebrity spotting in Nashville! Anyway...here is to better days despite a very chaotic house and a somewhat stressed momma!

No comments: